Saturday, January 13, 2007
de-motivation
So, in just over four months, I'm moving to England. And in the next two months, I'm taking three major exams which (if I pass) will make me ABD, with only my actual dissertation to write. The problem? The problem is that I'm thinking too much. If things go well in England, I will be staying there, maybe getting married, and living in the London area. All good things, except for professionally. The odds of finding an academic job are not good in the best of circumstances. It's not like every university hires someone every year-- it depends on who's retired or moved to another institution and how the budget looks and what direction the department is trying to go. And of course it's not as though I'm guaranteed to get every job I apply for, I won't. In any given year, there might be at most fifteen positions I could apply for in the US. I might get to the second round on half of them, and beyond that on even fewer. So by making the committment to stay in London, I limit my options so severely that I don't think it's even possible that I will get a job. The odds on one of the universities in the area needing to hire someone with my exact qualifications in the year that I graduate are infinitesimal. And this, in turn is making me less motivated to care about these exams--what good is it to pass them if I'll never be able to use the damn degree? I know I need to proceed as though I'm not going to be staying in England, but that idea is so horrible to me that I can't even think as though it's going to happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment